The National Emergency Management Organization continues to monitor the progress of Tropical Storm Isaac which is expected to move across the Lesser Antilles, near Dominica on Thursday according to the forecast track.
At 5:00 am today, the center of Tropical Storm Isaac was located near latitude 14.6 degrees north, longitude 48.1 degrees west which is about 860 miles or 1390 kilometers east of Saint Lucia. Isaac is moving toward the west near 14 mph or 22 km/h and this general motion speed is expected to continue through the end of the week. Maximum sustained winds are near 70 mph or 110 km/h with higher gusts. Little change in strength is expected over the next day or two, but Isaac is forecast to be at or near hurricane strength when it reaches the Lesser Antilles.
NEMO encourages all residents and visitors alike to remain vigilant and in a constant state of preparedness for any possible impacts from this system. Plan and prepare for worst case scenarios as the pace at which these systems can develop and strengthen cannot be underestimated.
Here are a few preparedness tips:
1. Prepare an emergency plan and discuss this plan with your family and employees.
2. Develop an Emergency Communication Plan - Determine a strategy with your family as to how you will contact each other in the event of separation from one another during a disaster.
3. Have a Survival/Emergency Kit
4. Know the location of your emergency shelter and determine the safest routes to reach that shelter.
5. Check into your home and auto insurance policies - Confirm that policies are valid and that coverage is appropriate.
6. Make arrangements for pets and livestock.
For additional information, please contact NEMO via telephone number (758) 452-3802/ (758) 468-2126 or email at email@example.com. You may also visit our website at www.nemo.gov.lc and/or Facebook page facebook.com/saintluciaNEMO